Yes, you can wash platform Converse in the washing machine, but it is not recommended by the manufacturer. However, many people have successfully washed their Converse in the washing machine without any issues.
Platform Converse sneakers are not just a fashion statement; they’re an iconic footwear choice that combines style with comfort. Over time, even the sturdiest sneakers can accumulate dirt and grime, leaving them looking less than pristine. If you’re wondering whether you can restore your platform Converse to its former glory by tossing them in the washing machine, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll explore the dos and don’ts of washing platform Converse in the washing machine and provide you with a step-by-step guide to ensure your sneakers come out looking as good as new.
Dos and Don’ts of Wash Platform Converse In The Washing Machine
Washing your platform Converse in the washing machine can be a convenient way to clean them, but it’s crucial to follow these dos to ensure a successful outcome:
- Remove Laces and Debris: Before tossing your sneakers into the washing machine, take out the laces and shake off any loose dirt or debris. This will prevent the laces from getting tangled and ensure a more thorough cleaning of your Converse.
- Use a Mesh Laundry Bag or Pillowcase: To protect your sneakers during the wash cycle, place them in a mesh laundry bag or pillowcase. This step is vital to prevent the shoes from rubbing against the drum of the washing machine, which could cause damage.
- Add a Small Amount of Laundry Detergent: Use a mild laundry detergent, and remember, less is more. Adding too much detergent can create excess suds, which might not rinse out properly and leave residue on your sneakers.
- Choose a Gentle Cycle with Cold Water: Set your washing machine to a gentle cycle with cold water. The gentle cycle ensures that your Converse is treated delicately, and cold water helps preserve the color and quality of the fabric.
- Wash Converse Alone: It’s essential to wash your platform Converse on its own without any other items in the machine. This prevents the shoes from getting tangled with other garments, which could result in damage.
- Air Dry: After the wash cycle is complete, take your Converse out of the laundry bag or pillowcase and allow it to air dry. Avoid using a dryer or exposing them to direct heat sources, as this can cause the shoes to warp or lose their shape.
While washing platform Converse in the washing machine can be successful, there are some crucial don’ts to keep in mind to avoid damaging your beloved sneakers:
- Don’t Use Bleach: Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals when cleaning your Converse. These substances can cause the colors to fade and weaken the fabric.
- Don’t Use Hot Water: Hot water can cause the glue holding the sole of your Converse together to weaken or melt. Stick to cold water for a safer wash.
- Don’t Scrub or Brush Vigorously: Refrain from using abrasive brushes or scrubbing too vigorously, as this can damage the fabric and remove the logo or branding on your Converse.
- Don’t Use a Washing Machine with an Agitator: Washing machines with agitators can be harsh on sneakers, potentially causing them to get caught and damaged. Opt for a machine without an agitator for a safer wash.
- Don’t Skip the Air Drying Step: Rushing the drying process by using a dryer or direct heat can lead to deformation and cracking of the rubber sole. Allow your Converse to air dry naturally.
Steps To Washing Platform Converse In The Washing Machine:
Now that you know the dos and don’ts, let’s break down the steps to wash your platform Converse in the washing machine:
Prepare Your Converse: Remove the laces and shake off any loose dirt or debris.
Protect Your Converse: Place your Converse sneakers in a mesh laundry bag or a pillowcase, tying the pillowcase closed to prevent them from falling out during the wash.
Add Detergent: Pour a small amount of mild laundry detergent into the washing machine.
Set the Machine: Select a gentle cycle with cold water. Ensure the machine is set to a low spin cycle to minimize the risk of damage.
Wash Alone: Place your Converse-clad laundry bag or pillowcase into the machine without any other items.
Start the Cycle: Start the washing machine and let it run its course.
Air Dry: Once the cycle is complete, remove your Converse from the laundry bag or pillowcase and let it air dry naturally. Avoid exposing them to direct heat or sunlight.
Alternative Washing Methods For Platform Converse:
While washing your platform Converse in the washing machine can be effective, there are alternative methods you can consider if you’re hesitant about using the machine:
- Hand Washing: Fill a basin with cold water and add a small amount of mild detergent. Gently scrub your Converse using a soft brush or cloth. Rinse thoroughly and air dry.
- Spot Cleaning: For minor stains or areas that need special attention, spot cleaning with a mixture of water and mild detergent can be effective. Use a soft brush or cloth to scrub the affected area and rinse with cold water.
- Insoles and Laces: If your insoles are removable, take them out and clean them separately. You can also wash your laces by placing them in a laundry bag and tossing them in with your regular laundry.
- Shoe Cleaner Kits: Consider using a shoe cleaner kit designed specifically for sneakers. These kits often come with a cleaning solution and a brush, making it easier to clean your Converse by hand.
- Professional Cleaning: If you’re uncertain about cleaning your Converse yourself or have unique fabric concerns, consider taking them to a professional shoe cleaner who can expertly clean and restore them.
Can I use a washing machine with an agitator to clean my platform Converse?
Answer: No, it’s best to avoid washing machines with agitators, as they can be harsh on sneakers and potentially cause damage. Opt for a machine without an agitator for a safer wash.
Is it okay to use bleach when cleaning the platform Converse?
Answer: No, it’s not recommended to use bleach or harsh chemicals when cleaning your Converse. These substances can cause the colors to fade and weaken the fabric.
Can I speed up the drying process by using a dryer or direct heat source?
Answer: It’s not advisable to use a dryer or direct heat sources for drying your Converse. This can lead to deformation and cracking of the rubber sole. Allow your sneakers to air dry naturally.
Is it necessary to remove the laces before washing my Converse?
Answer: Yes, it’s essential to remove the laces before washing your Converse. This prevents them from getting tangled and ensures a more thorough cleaning of both the shoes and the laces.
How often should I clean my platform Converse?
Answer: The frequency of cleaning depends on how often you wear your Converse and the level of dirt and stains they accumulate. As a general guideline, aim to clean them when they appear visibly dirty or stained.
In conclusion, washing platform Converse in the washing machine is a viable option for cleaning these iconic sneakers, provided you follow the recommended dos and don’ts. While the manufacturer may not endorse this method, many individuals have successfully revived their Converse using this approach.
Remember to remove laces, protect your sneakers in a mesh laundry bag or pillowcase, use cold water, and air dry them for the best results. If you’re hesitant about machine washing, alternative methods such as hand washing, spot cleaning, or professional cleaning are also effective options to maintain the pristine appearance of your platform Converse. With proper care, your Converse can continue to make a bold fashion statement for years to come.