It is generally not recommended to wash them in the washing machine. Instead, you can clean the rubber shell of the boots with a sponge soaked in warm, soapy water.
If the boots have leather or fabric portions, be careful not to get them wet.
You can also clean the boots with a damp clean rag or sponge, and then let them dry. If desired, you can apply rubber protector to the boots, being careful not to get any on the outsole
In this article, we’ll address this common question, provide dos and don’ts, and offer alternative cleaning methods to help you keep your Sperry Duck Boots in tip-top shape.
Dos and Don’ts of Wash Sperry Duck Boots
- Check the Material: Examine your Duck Boots to understand their construction. They typically consist of a rubber shell and leather or fabric uppers.
- Rubber Shell Cleaning: For the rubber shell of the boots, use a sponge soaked in warm, soapy water to gently scrub away dirt and stains. This method is suitable for removing most surface grime.
- Damp Clean Rag or Sponge: If the boots have leather or fabric portions, avoid getting them wet. Instead, use a damp clean rag or sponge to wipe away dirt and debris from these areas.
- Dry Thoroughly: After cleaning, ensure your boots are completely dry before storing them. Place them in a well-ventilated area and avoid direct heat sources, which can damage the materials.
- Rubber Protector: If desired, apply a rubber protector to the rubber portions of the boots to maintain their integrity and extend their lifespan. Be careful not to get any protector on the outsole to avoid a slippery surface.
- Machine Washing: It is generally not recommended to wash Sperry Duck Boots in the washing machine. The mechanical agitation and water exposure can harm the boots and reduce their lifespan.
- Soaking Leather or Fabric: Do not immerse the leather or fabric portions of your Duck Boots in water. This can lead to damage, discoloration, and a loss of shape.
- Direct Heat: Avoid placing your boots near direct heat sources like radiators or heaters, as excessive heat can cause materials to crack or become misshapen.
- Excessive Scrubbing: While cleaning the rubber shell, avoid using abrasive brushes or harsh cleaning solutions, as these can damage the finish.
Best Ways To Wash Sperry Duck Boots: Step By Step
Follow these steps to effectively clean your Sperry Duck Boots:
Check the Material: Examine your boots to identify the rubber shell and any leather or fabric portions that need cleaning.
Rubber Shell Cleaning:
- Prepare warm, soapy water in a basin or bowl.
- Dip a sponge into the soapy water and gently scrub the rubber shell to remove dirt and stains.
- Rinse the sponge and wipe away any soap residue.
- Dry the rubber shell with a clean, dry cloth.
Leather or Fabric Cleaning:
- Use a damp, clean rag or sponge to wipe away dirt and debris from the leather or fabric portions.
- Avoid getting these areas too wet, as excess moisture can damage the material.
- For tougher stains on leather, consider using a leather cleaner following the product’s instructions.
Drying: Allow your Duck Boots to air dry completely in a well-ventilated area. Avoid direct heat sources.
Rubber Protector (Optional): If desired, apply a rubber protector to the rubber portions of the boots. Be cautious not to get any on the outsole to prevent a slippery surface.
Alternative Washing Methods For Sperry Duck Boots
If you prefer not to use water and soap, consider these alternative methods to clean your Duck Boots:
- Dry Brushing: Use a soft-bristle brush or a shoe brush to gently remove dirt and mud from the rubber shell. Follow up with a clean, dry cloth to wipe away any remaining residue.
- Baby Wipes: Non-alcoholic, unscented baby wipes can be used to gently clean the rubber shell and leather portions. Be sure to test a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure the wipes don’t cause discoloration.
- Specialized Cleaning Products: Sperry offers specialized cleaning products for their Duck Boots, including rubber cleaners and leather conditioners. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using these products.
Can I wash the laces of my Sperry Duck Boots in the washing machine?
Answer: Yes, you can wash the laces separately in the washing machine or by hand. Follow the care instructions on the laces.
Are Sperry Duck Boots waterproof?
Answer: Sperry Duck Boots are designed to be water-resistant, but not fully waterproof. They are ideal for wet conditions but may not withstand prolonged submersion.
How often should I clean my Sperry Duck Boots?
Answer: The frequency of cleaning depends on how often you wear them and the conditions they are exposed to. Regularly inspect them for dirt and stains, and clean as needed to keep them looking their best.
Can I use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process of my Duck Boots?
Answer: It’s best to let your boots air dry naturally at room temperature to avoid any damage from excessive heat.
Cleaning your Sperry Duck Boots is essential to keep them looking great and functioning well. While it’s tempting to toss them in the washing machine, it’s generally not recommended, as it can harm the boots. Instead, follow the dos and don’ts outlined in this guide and choose the appropriate cleaning method based on the materials of your boots.
With proper care, your Sperry Duck Boots will continue to provide reliable protection from the elements, keeping your feet comfortable and dry during your outdoor adventures.